2014-04-30

makeover dress with free-minded stitches


I got a long-sleeved denim-look-alike relaxing jersey dress on clearance sale. Early summer will come to Tokyo very soon, I'd like to cut-off the sleeves and put stitches for some decoration combined with stopping frays.
As always says, I'm really BAD at sewing and stitching! So I decided to use most simple and basic running stitch for this.


The most important thing is choosing lovely threads. Choose different (or same) colors for each stitch. I use 3 different beautiful color Swedish linen threads.


Cutoff the sleeves, leave sleeve fabric half or 1 inches from arm holes. Trim both sleeves (almost) same length.


Start stitching. Tie up the thread, and start stitching from bottom of the sleeve. To hem cut-off sleeves, put one or two whipstitch for stopping frays.


Then start running stitches. I put the first stitch line from inside of the sleeve.


Keep stitching! Don't pull the thread strongly, not to shrink dress fabric. And don't forget to tie up the end of the thread.


It's like Japanese traditional Sashiko technique, but more free-minded and easy.
If you can make it more beautiful, please tidy the stitch lines. If you can't (like me,) I think it's absolutely ok. Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment